View Single Post

Old 07-12-2021, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Test glove

Dear all

So I have been thinking about the glove for a while now, in particular two aspects: First how to go about attaching the fingers and second what construction of the entire glove to make it tough enough.

I eventually came to the conclusion that I needed to make a rough life size prototype and by doing this it would (hopefully) show me the way.

So I printed out on draft grey-scale on usual printer paper one glove and decided to make it up quickly and fairly roughly.

The digits were done first

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14307.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14308.jpg
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14309.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14311.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14312.jpg

As you can see it is rough. Then the mitt and cuff

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14313.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14314.jpg

Very quickly it became clear that the best way to proceed was to join the fingers together and then join the bank of 4 fingers to the mitt, then the thumb and then the "hand" to the cuff

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14316.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14315.jpg

I also learned this needs to be an incredibly accurate build. If you are out with the curvature of any off the joints then it just will not fit together. You might notice a strip of white paper near the bottom of the mitt below the little finger. This is a patch, needed because of not making the mitt accurately around the thumb caused the mitt to rip in order to fit. The one reassuring point is Ken is such a great designer, if I build it properly everything will fit like "a glove"

The build also made me rethink my strengthening plan. I thought the gloves were bound to get quite a bit of handling when assembling the model so would have to be fairly robust. The last thing I wanted was a model with "dented fingers" (or head etc) since that would not look good. So I had settled on the idea of filling the gauntlets with expandable foam. The trials of trying to fill toilet roll tube "creations" had not been very successful however. But now my thinking is the gauntlets are already stronger than I was expecting due to their shape (and that is just with standard printer 80gsm paper) so I now think it will be possible to make strong enough gauntlets using standard methods of formers and layers.

Regards

Kevin