View Single Post

Old 07-12-2021, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
A thought

Dear all

So I have finished a prototype (rough) life size glove. It is huge compared to my actual hand

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14317.jpg

Of course it would be a bit bigger since on the real suit there is a hand within a glove within a glove within a glove. But it struck me just how big it is, especially when (you've guessed it) I tried it on

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14318.jpg

I am amazed you could do anything with your hand with these on. It really brought it home to me how absolutely everything for the Apollo missions had to be carefully thought out. Zero was "usual" or "straightforward".

As I slipped on the glove it crossed my mind what the Apollo astronauts would have thought when they first tried on the gloves. I don't know if you have ever been planning for something for a long time, or wanting to visit somewhere for years, or had a very long term goal. For me when this has happened there has always been a point when I have done something or something has happened when suddenly you know it is really going to happen. I wonder if trying on the gloves for the astronauts was one of those moments they really were going to walk on the moon.

Just in case anyone does not know, in the downloads section are the parts for the gloves for Ken's model so you can go get them, blow them up by 400% and make your own Apollo space suit gloves. They seem very real when you put them on.

Regards

Kevin