View Single Post

Old 07-16-2021, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 592.55 MB
paper type experience: glossy vs opaque

good evening everybody.
if necessary ... move this thread to another site.)

I suppose it is easy to answer ... everyone recommends a type of paper, type of thickness, grams ... etc for each model, and piece in particular ... especially if it is small (thinner), and if it is larger it will be thicker .. (or have an inner support)

but because I don't know any of that, the printers that I know are not interested ... and besides being expensive here, I only use the common A4 or A3 paper
(and to give it "thickness", I previously glued layers and layers of the same paper, until I get the strongest thickness, depending on which piece obviously)

But the important question that I rarely see is
Do you use glossy paper?(photographic type)

in race cars, I use that type of paper on the entire upper chassis ... it gives it a very shiny finish ... and on the lower parts, interiors, and wheels I use the most common "rough" paper. you really can tell the difference. you can see the "texture" of an opaque wheel, unlike the shiny "metal" (photo paper) ...

but, according to my experience ... it is THE MOST DIFFICULT to handle ... I explain:
-the common paper (matte, opaque, common, rough) "absorbs-binds" the ink, then, when folded, the ink stays in place.
When sticking rough pieces, the glue grip is excellent.

-the photographic paper (or a VERY smooth, glossy one) does not absorb the ink ... it is only printed on top ... so when folding it, it "cracks" it has white lines appearing. (This can be solved by painting the lines ... but it is very dangerous for the model ... in the end it tends to have cracks like old oil paint ... if there is moisture, it is worse)
Besides sticking shiny pieces together, you have to wait a long time to be sure that they are firmly glued.
(Also, keep in mind that if you glued 2 shiny pieces with paint on top ... you only glued the "paint against paint" ... not the paper ... this is usually "weak" structurally)

According to model, and way of folding (round or "squares") I can dare to gloss paper.

to the corresponding subject, in the "space", the shuttle, the ET, and the srb ... all are "rough" or without shine.
Except for the csm apollo, and the "golden" of the LM ... or any satellite that has that golden metallic protection.
almost any rocket is matte ... especially at launch ... (cryogenic gas, ice sheets on the skin ... etc)
(only if it is saved, you can see if it shines or not)

as a "reference" my modified F-40 in its "dustproof box."

paper type experience: glossy vs opaque-20210713_100351.jpg