View Single Post

Old 07-17-2021, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
glove factory opens

Dear all

So I have made a start on the actual life size gloves. essentially a production line style is how I am approaching it, a sort of "glove factory". I can already tell it is going to take some time to make all 4 gloves.

To start with I am going to make all the thumbs. So first up will be Buzz's left thumb (though all the thumbs are the same). The thumb is in two "sections", the blue "tip" and the the grey "stem" (if you get what I mean. The grey part is "fabric" (actually woven stainless steel cloth called Chromel R) so there is always the possibility over coving that bit afterwards and it does have a cloth wrinkled appearance in real life. The blue tip is a smooth silicone cup. Thus I don't foresee the blue tips being covered so I want to try and make them as neat and smooth as I can manage. For this reason I am using uhu glue for the blue tips.

So here are the parts being cut out and partially assembled

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14319.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14320.jpg

Two very noticable things on the real gloves is the tips and where they join the stems are perfectly round and also that the tips are a noticeably smaller diameter than the stems. (you can see why this is so in the video in the above post which includes the glove being assembled). To get the model to look right I decided that I needed to use formers in the joins of the tip and the stem

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14321.jpg

To ensure the tip is centred on the stem I made the hole in both formers the same diameter.

So I added the former to the tip and completed it, added the former to the end of the stem (making a "bottle cap") and made the ring to the thumb stem (all shown below)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14322.jpg

I think the glove will get quite a bit of bumping/handling. The parts for the gloves are on 160 gsm paper so I decided that the tips need to have an inner strengthening layer

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14324.jpg

Next I cut out the hole in the "bottle top" and add it to the ring of the stem of the thumb

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14325.jpg

So now I am ready to glue the tip of the thumb to the stem of the thumb. Then I realised I had mad a mistake. I really needed to ensure the former ring of the thumb was well and truly glued to the former of the "bottle top" of the stem. So I had intended gluing those together before making the rest of the tip and then reinforcing it (because this way I can get great pressure gluing the two formers together thus ensuring the tip of the thumb does not come off).

So I have to just try and glue them together by putting weight on them without crushing the parts

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14326.jpg

Will found out tomorrow if it works.

Regards

Kevin