View Single Post

Old 07-18-2021, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
1918 era COE Truck – Probably Mack Type 2

An article about the World War I-era American Protective League civilian Justice Department auxiliary in the 22 July issue of the New York Review of Books includes an image of a primitive-looking truck (Image 1, below).

My initial impression was that it was a Jeffrey/Nash Quad (Image 2) or an F.W.D. Model B (Image 3). But further examination of images of WWI U.S. trucks convinces me that it was a Mack Type Two (Images 4 and 5). To me, the giveaway is the prominent Mack Type Two dashboard, not present on the Jeffrey and F.W.D. vehicles (Image 6).

Although the Mack Bulldog AC with its distinctive engine cover was the most widely-used Mack truck overseas in World War I, a lot of the old Type Twos (as well as the ABs with conventional hoods) remained in service on the home front.

Can anyone with more expertise on U.S. WWI-era trucks than I have confirm or correct this identification?

Sources of images:
1. New York Review of Books, 22 July 2021, page 35.
2. Wikipedia, available at Jeffery Quad - Wikipedia
3. FWD Model B Lorry, Landships, available at http://www.landships.info/landships/...D_Model_B.html (Apparently this article is from the old Landships on-line journal that still has a phantom existence on the Internet. I can't find this article or the image in the current Landships II.)
4 and 5. Albert Mroz, American Military Vehicles of World War I, Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co., 2009, pp. 184, 238.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
1918 era COE Truck – Probably Mack Type 2-mack_truck_nyv_1918_nyrb_210722_p35r.jpg   1918 era COE Truck – Probably Mack Type 2-1024px-jeffery_quad_truck_with_u.s._marines_wikipediar.jpg   1918 era COE Truck – Probably Mack Type 2-fwd_model_b_2_landship.jpg   1918 era COE Truck – Probably Mack Type 2-mack_5-ton_type_two_tanker_1909_mroz_p184r.jpg   1918 era COE Truck – Probably Mack Type 2-mack_4-ton_type_two_bottlers_body_1910_mroz_p238r.jpg  

1918 era COE Truck – Probably Mack Type 2-mack_type_two_dashboardr.png