View Single Post

Old 07-19-2021, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Charlie - Thanks for correcting me on the provenance of the FWD article and for adding your expertise to this discussion.

southwestforests - Thanks for acquainting me with the Hewitt truck. I had never heard of it and am glad to add that information to my knowledge base. I have added an image, below, from the Society of Automotive Historians in Britain website (SLIDER: 1908 Hewitt Five-Ton Truck |). I agree that there is a similarity with the mystery vehicle, but, like the F.W.D., the Hewitt has a radiator in front of the driver and lacks the distinctive dashboard of the Mack and the mystery vehicle. Note that the driver is able to rest his foot on the top of the dashboard of the mystery vehicle and there is no visible radiator (which was apparently under the dashboard on the Mack machines).

There is a connection, however. According to Mroz, "When Mack merged with [American] Sauer and Hewitt, the founder of the latter company, Edward R. Hewitt, joined the ranks of the Mack team and became an important designer of Mack trucks, albeit briefly. He was responsible for the design of the AB Mack prior to his departure in 1914" (p. 236). So Hewitt designed the truck that was the basis for the New York National Guard B-1 armored car that I discussed in a recent thread: New York National Guard Mack B-1 1916 Armored Car

Kevin - It is always good to have the pleasure of your company. I hope Wayne shows up soon.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
1918 era COE Truck – Probably Mack Type 2-slider-1908-hewitt-five-ton-truck-1000-sah.jpg