View Single Post

Old 07-20-2021, 12:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
chesstrees

I appreciate Bob's explanations in this thread, but I think his remark about the chesstrees on Dutch ships need a small correction. We did not use sheaves in our chesstrees. Actually there were two types: the first is just a simple clamp against the hull with a hole in it, leading the tack to another hole in the ship's side in front of the chesstree (sometimes behind it), like here:
Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-schermafbeelding-2021-07-20-om-07.59.12.jpg
In detail:
Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-schermafbeelding-2021-07-20-om-07.58.39.png
The other variant is a simple hole in the bulwark, adorned with a carved mask, mostly with an open mouth, through which the tack passed, like on the William Rex in the Rijksmuseum, to the left of the gun right:
Dutch Fluit Schwarzer Rabe, 1627 - Shipyard 1/96 by catopower-_dsc0203.jpg

Your books look great Bob!

Looking at this build it more and more seems to me that scratch building a model like this would be a much better option. There are so many details that can hardly be explained in tis kit. A nice example is the use of gratings in this model. Gratings were used to bring light and air to the compartments below, especially in case of gun decks, ventilation is crucial. I don't see the use of gratings giving air to a deck where only cargo was stored, as it was usual on fluits. A simple hatch was sufficient (and much more easy to make :-)) Perhaps my tutorial on scratch building period ships might help you to take the leap to scratch, Clare.