Thread: legality
View Single Post

Old 07-26-2021, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Biggest problem is most people know whether a model should be free or not, or if its pirated, and won't admit it.
They choose to ignore it, or they pretend they didn't know, or they look for some sort of excuse from someone else
in the hobby that will allow them to feel less guilty about handling pirated files.

Same thing goes for pirate sites...you have to be a real dummy not to know whats going on.
So if you say "I didn't know" you are most likely lying.
And nobody believes your excuses for why you were on the site in the first place! LOL

Old, out of sate models?
The idea that an author is unknown, or out of touch, or the model is out of print, or out of date...
these are usually just excuses, trying to justify reasons for sharing/downloading a pirated model.

If a model isn't available any more, there is often a reason...maybe the author doesn't want to distribute that file any more.
Maybe the author has replaced it with an updated version.
Maybe the original author doesn't own the rights to the model any more.
Whatever the reason, we can't just assume its fair game for sharing.

And while I appreciate that some people can't afford certain things, it still doesn't justify stealing or receiving stolen property.
There are plenty of legitimate free models out there, and if you ask nicely, some designers (like myself) will even give you a free (retail) model.
There is still no reason to go to pirate sites.