View Single Post

Old 07-28-2021, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
A new museum collection of Tatebanko online

Dear friends. Here is some good news. Last year, I donated my collection of tatebanko (or kumiage-e) to the Smithsonian National Museum of Asian Art on the Mall in Washington DC. After some time for processing and scanning the collection, I am glad to say that the whole collection of original prints representing 61 partial and complete models, has now been made available online. Some day, I hope to help the Gallery hold an actual show, including displaying built versions, and possibly a workshop on how to build them. But for now, I am very pleased that they are available.

I have shared bits and pieces of the collection at past Paper Model International Conferences, and have helped write three articles about the form, with colleagues Tony Cole and others. A number of you have approached me about sharing them, and so now I am glad to see them now available for viewing and even download. My prints date from about 1880 - 1912. Each one depicts a story, most often a scene from a play, Kabuki, a Noh play, or a Kyogen - a light-hearted story acted out during the intermission of a Noh play. Some mark historic and cultural events. The collection can be viewed here: <https://asia.si.edu/search/Robert+Tauxe>

or go to asia.si.edu and search on my name, Robert Tauxe

You can see the first available page of each of the sets, and then click on them to enlarge the image. At the bottom of the enlarged image are thumbnails of the rest of the set you can also open up.

All the best, and please stay safe and get vaccinated, if you are not already

Robert Tauxe (aka papermodelfan)