View Single Post

Old 08-01-2021, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I've always criticized those who use paper, filler, primer and paint (along with other materials)
to build a models and then call them "paper models".
Thats my opinion...I think those are "mixed-media" models and not specifically paper.

But you have to acknowledge that painting, or painted effects and weathering are no different than a pre-printed model...the ink is the "paint".
Even a coloured paper model has a dye added to the paper to create the colour.

While I have never fully "painted" a paper model, I have used an airbrush to add colour and weathering effect after the model was completed.

Clear-coating/sealing/waterproofing falls into a completely different category (in my opinion) and is a sometimes necessary evil of paper model art.

Back to the topic of adjusting/modifying the printed finish of a model,
I wonder if printing the model part sheets and then applying airbrushed effects to the parts before they are cut from the sheets, is an option here.
(The original topic was about modifying a DeLorean model to look more like genuine stainless steel)

If a gently airbrushed effect was added over the printed textures
...not so much as to 'wet" the paper and cause wrinkles and buckling...
you could alter the finish.

Keep in mind, DeLorean panels were a brushed effect (thousands of tiny scratches, mostly in the same direction)
and then clearcoated with ordinary automotive clearcoat.
Keeping bare stainless clean would have been a nightmare!
Anyone who has a stainless steel Fridge can attest to that!!!! lol

Its all about light refraction and reflection...hard to recreate the effect of the clearcoat with 2D paper.
Unless you actually use clearcoat.