Thread: Conestoga
View Single Post

Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Conestoga/Prairie Schooner/Covered wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
I'm looking forward to this one also, silveroxide. Your wagon will surely be nice.
Thanks Birder, You know that the wagon ruts on the trail west are still visible through some parts of the western states? I seen them when I went through Wyoming. There are signs stating the route of the Oregon trail.

many Conestogas were built to the customers specification. What the buyer could afford. Some had spring loaded beds. But the one that was most used was the simplest one, no added options. Two sides, front and back and a big empty bed/Box. In the migration to the west, when they arrived at their destination, Many were sold to the mining companies. The fancy ones were to fragile for the work, they preferred the rugged simple ones. They were easier to maintain.

While many were pulled by oxen, Horses and mules were also used. One of the problems when driving a mixed draft animal teams, was that the horses and mules kept pulling ahead of the oxen causing an accordion effect. While the oxen were slower, they were more sure footed and steady for the long run. An added bonus was that the Indians like to steal the horses but left the cattle alone.

So on with the show. I used chains for the tail gate but Ropes were also used more extensively. I used a paper clip to manufacture a locking mechanism and a cradle for the locking arms.

The next posting will be in a few days, I have to catch up on the photos and in editing them. See you all shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Conestoga-024.jpg   Conestoga-025.jpg   Conestoga-026.jpg   Conestoga-027.jpg   Conestoga-028.jpg  

Conestoga-029.jpg   Conestoga-030.jpg   Conestoga-031.jpg   Conestoga-032.jpg   Conestoga-033.jpg  

Conestoga-034.jpg   Conestoga-035.jpg   Conestoga-036.jpg