View Single Post

Old 08-08-2021, 05:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 770.5 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I've always criticized those who use paper, filler, primer and paint (along with other materials)
to build a models and then call them "paper models".
Thats my opinion...I think those are "mixed-media" models and not specifically paper.
That is exactly what I mentioned earlier. However, I like that paper allows me to "construct" things instead of just cutting our preformed plastic elements and putting them together. Applying paints gives me an opportunity to weather my models as I wish as they were plastic models. So, for me it is a win-win combination.

My recipe that I tried several times and worked great is:

Apply 2-3 light coats of a good acrylic primer out of a can or airbrush (I use big Vallejo cans since I don't have an airbrush, they are cheap and cover well)
Apply 4-5 really thin coats of acrylic paint in order to avoid brush strokes (Revell Aqua Color is good since it can be easily thinned with water and also cleaning the brushes is easier, not to mention no odor)
After this, you have a sealed and plastic-like surface that can be further treated with enamels, oils, etc. just as another plastic model.