View Single Post

Old 08-14-2021, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Cockpit section-2

Thank you Don, Isaac, scon10 and yankeekilo. Your remarks and comment are much appreciated! Don, I'm pretty sure that an aircraft like this must bring back a lot of good memories. Back in 1987 I visited the National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. and I remember this front section of a DC-7C. You could walk through it and I was amazed by the beauty of this aircraft, impressed by the cockpit and the few first class rows. I regret having missed this great era in the fifties....

Well, finished the nose section without much problems. Because of the model's size, parts like these come together easily.

A few remarks related to the previous post: In the first picture is an overview of the various subsections I prepared before assembling the entire cockpit section. There are more roads leading to Rome as they say, but this line-up worked well for me.
Also, a picture of the wheel well internal lining. I had assembled it first as per the model's design, in one piece, using the joining strips and printed on 160 grams paper. However, difficult to install, so I printed the part on 80 grams paper instead and with each "flap" cut loose (see the arrows in the picture) and installed separately. With a bit of trimming at the edges, all fitted well.

Then glued the internals into the nose and used the upper part of superfluous former 4NG (likely not present anymore in the final model sheets as it has no use) to correct for the slightly too small former 105-S1 (this former is required when building the model with landing gear). Finally former 3 (required regardless of any option) and internal reinforcement of the skin (by doubling with 160 grams paper), similar to the central fuselage.

Finally, mating the cockpit and central fuselage and adding the optional details: Windscreen wipers and small vent openings/discharges - in total 4 pieces. Especially the wipers are excellent to practice one's cutting skills....

Up so far the build is not complicated, despite installing the optional details and the fit is good. I'm happy with it.

The close-up pictures show no mercy: Every little glue spill or decoloring due to the use of pencils, paint or marker is p(l)ainly visible. Luckily in reality, the human eye is more forgiving and simply consider it as weathering. When the model is finished I will varnish it, which will soften any irregularity.

Next will be the empennage section.

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7111.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7164.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7165.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7166.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7167.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7168.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7169.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7174.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7175.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7176.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7178.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7185.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7186.jpg