View Single Post

Old 09-26-2021, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Polyhedron Model: Pentagonal Hexecontahedron

I've just finished the plans for a model of a Pentagonal Hexecontahedron.
They can be found here: https://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/g...s/pentahex.pdf

This is the web page with the GNU 3DLDF and TeX source code: The GNU 3DLDF Polyhedron Models Page

Information about the pentagonal hexecontahedron can be found at Wolfram Mathworld: Pentagonal Hexecontahedron -- from Wolfram MathWorld

This model is somewhat more complex than the one of the small rhombicosidodecahedron. It consists of 60 irregular pentagons.

A pentagonal hexecontahedron is an "Archimedean dual". It comes in two forms, a right-handed (dextro) and a left-handed (laevo) form, which are mirror images of each other (also known as "enantiomorphs"). See the article on "Chirality" at Wikipedia for more information (I couldn't get the link to work for some reason).

The plans include both the right-handed and the left-handed forms, each one with and without numbered pentagons. The numbered versions might be useful for coloring, when not printing the plans directly onto the paper or cardstock used for the model, or for other purposes.

These plans also illustrate the usefulness of using a 3D package for two-dimensional technical drawings. Since the plans are 2D, obviously a 2D graphics program could have been used to make them. In this case, the pentagons would have had to have been copied and then shifted ("translated") and rotated into the proper positions. In 3D, it's possible to just rotate them around an edge through the third dimension, which is much easier for the user of the program.

In addition, it's possible with a single command to create the left-handed version by rotating the entire plan around the x- or z-axis (in this case, the plans lie in the x-z plane). A mirror image could not be created by translations and rotations in a plane, at least not of the entire model. It would be possible by rotating and translating the individual pentagons, but it would be nearly as much work as doing the first version.

I hope that the tabs are all correct. I will test this and post any corrected versions to the website. I said in a previous posting that the tabs were strictly speaking just a convenience. This is true as far as it goes and it's not hard to cut off a tab that's not needed or replace a missing one with a strip of paper or a piece of tape. However, it would be a serious inconvenience if there were no tabs at all.

I've improved the macro used for making the tabs in these plans as compared with the ones in the plans for the small rhombicosidodecahedron. There are now four parameters that govern the size, shape and position of the tabs: The offset from each of the ends and the widths at each of the ends. There is one parameter governing the size of the pentagons, namely the length of the short sides.

Unlike some other polyhedra, this one is not made up of sections that can simply be copied and translated. They are rotated with respect to each other at lots of different angles. As a consequence of this, I've programmed the plans in such a way that there is a variable associated with each of the pentagons and each of the points. This makes for the maximum amount of flexibility when adjusting the plans for different sizes.

In this version, the plans are divided into two halves. The pentagons would have had to be very small for the complete plan to fit on one DIN A3 page. Even divided into two, they are fairly small. However, it would not be difficult to make larger versions, spread over more pages.

Last edited by Laurence Finston; 09-26-2021 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Addition