View Single Post

Old 10-05-2021, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Zenon –

Thanks for these additional images. Those look like interesting and very relevant articles.

I am not familiar with the term "foundation inscription." I wonder if it refers to what are usually in English called "patriotic presentation numbers."

Many Japanese 1930s and WWII aircraft were purchased through subscriptions by towns, neighborhoods, businesses, schools, and other entities. Aircraft so acquired were given special numbers. In the IJN, these were called “Patriotic Presentation Numbers “ (報国号 or Hōkoku-gō). In the IJAAF, they were called “Patriotism Numbers” (愛国号 – Aikoku-gō).

Sometimes, the name of the organization that donated the airplane would appear underneath the Hōkoku/ Aikoku number.

It does not appear that the real V-110 carried a Hōkoku number, and the Kanji on the model does not conform to any Hōkoku inscription that I am familiar with.

Keep in mind that, while I have had an interest in Japanese history, language, and culture and specifically, Japanese military and naval aviation, for a long time, I am not a fluent Japanese speaker, nor am I a real expert, so I always stand ready to be corrected.

Don