View Single Post

Old 10-17-2021, 06:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Thank you @Greg.S, @Philip,Tapcho and @et2B for your kind words. Paper is a fantastic material to shape in.

@Tapcho:
That is another interesting find, but the shape is quite different from the ghost ship: it seems sharper towards the stern and the taffrail is very narrow, as can be expected for the period around 1635.

@et2B: Certainly there is a way to get the lines of the model, but it takes some calculation to find the right scale for the various drawings. Here is the longitudinal section:
A 17th century Dutch fluit-doorsnede.jpg
Here are the front and aft view:
A 17th century Dutch fluit-vooraanzicht.jpg A 17th century Dutch fluit-achteraanzicht.jpg
Here is the side view:
A 17th century Dutch fluit-zijaanzicht.jpg
And I even can offer the layout of the planking on a 1/77 scale:
A 17th century Dutch fluit-uitslagen-gangen.jpg
The only thing you have to know about the measurements of the original ship: 90 x 23 x 9 Amsterdam feet (25.47 x 6.52 x 2.55 meters). The length (25.47 m) is measured between the outsides of stem and stern and on the topside of the keel.
The width (6.52) is measured over the outsides of the frame at the height of the depth (2.55 m) measured again from the topside of the keel.
I doubt if I ever did a building report on this one, but within the rest of this thread I think you can find some help in cases of doubts.
I'm afraid I almost have no shots of the model under construction, just some sketches of how the bulwarks were constructed and to fake them:
A 17th century Dutch fluit-verschansing-constructie.jpg A 17th century Dutch fluit-verschansing.jpg
For the rest you are on your own :-).
Good luck!

Last edited by abhovi; 10-17-2021 at 06:50 AM.