View Single Post

Old 10-24-2021, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The wings

Hello everyone! It's been a while as my mind was and to a lesser extent still is, not geared up to modeling. Too many sad and disturbing things going on in the family lately. Doesn't mean I haven't done a thing in the past few weeks but progress certainly slowed down.
In any case, herewith a quick update. Started with the wings and regardless of other matters, it's been quite a struggle up so far. I'll keep it short.

The wings are large surfaces and the internal structure is elaborate, many ribs and spars. I strengthened the internal surface by gluing regular printer paper and sanded the ribs and spars quite a bit to have an easy fit, rather than a tight one and the risk of pressing the skins too hard on the ribs.

At this stage I'm far from done yet with the first (left) wing but it looks like that pre-assembling it as much as possible and only then inserting the internal structure, will give the best result. The structure is still loose inside the wing.
Gluing it will be tricky as I found out when working on the right wing: You have to press the main spars flat on the table surface to keep the wing straight and without torsion during the drying process. In other words, I have to start all over again with that one.

I altered the attachment of the wings to the fuselage by creating a kind of sleeve from which the spar tabs can be inserted. This allows me to construct each wing at a time before attaching it to the fuselage.

Also a few pictures of the right aileron.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7654.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7655.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7661.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7662.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7790.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7791.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7792.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7793.jpg