View Single Post

Old 11-13-2021, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
Like many free/open/libre software, Blender is evolving at a tremendous pace. Although the mentioned ebook is clearly the result of a lot of effort, very useful and especially interesting for integrating a lot of otherwise disjointed information, it's already obsolete in some regards. I recommend you check blender.org - Home of the Blender project - Free and Open 3D Creation Software for features of recent versions. In particular, I think tools for directly painting on the 3D model without UV unwrapping are available.

BTW Inkscape has also progressed a lot. The jump from 0.48 to 0.92 versions increased speed, reliability and fidelity by light-years. I didn't notice much progress in features from 0.92 to current 1.0.2, but it's still a joy to use (no, unfortunately I don't think the ability to snap-join edges by rotating on a common vertex is implemented yet).
Is it possible to apply a photo texture to the model or only to paint solid colors via freehand? I'm looking to make an accurate model of the old passenger terminal at Indianapolis International Airport (supplanted by a brand-new facility in 2008, demolished 2012) and I think a lot of the stuff discussed in this thread will be very helpful. I've already done other 3D modeling (train simulator scenery objects, created in Train Sim Modeler) and 2D graphics in Inkscape.