View Single Post

Old 11-15-2021, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJets View Post
What is the best kind of paper to print models on using a home inkjet printer? In terms of image clarity and color accuracy and ease of working and so on.
In direct response to your question, the answer would be "white" paper.

Image clarity and colour accuracy will require white paper.

In a more general sense, your question is too vague since you have not specified:
- the type of card model you are building (some models require stiffer card for more rigidity in certain areas)
- the scale of the model (smaller models might benefit from thinner papers)
- whether the model has a lot of very small components or larger ones (again, thin or thick papers to aid in building certain components)
- whether the model is a full colour, or can use pre-coloured paper/card
- the capabilities of your printer (colour quality, paper sizes, cost of use)

You'll find many modelers use different cards and paper for different projects.
Or even different cards and papers within the same project!

The material I use more than any other is 65lb (176gsm) plain white premium cardstock.
Coverstock is nice (smoother finish) but can be thinner (same weight) and a bit more expensive.

*It helps to understand a little bit about paper/card weights and measures and how they differ between different types of papers/cards.
Just because two types of paper or card have the same "weight", they may not be the same finish, stiffness or thickness.

I also use 110lb cardstock when I want more rigidity and stiffness.
Thats the thickest I use for printing.

I also use 20lb (average quality) and 28lb (premium finish) copy papers for various print jobs
and for very small assemblies or when building any assembly smaller than 1/00 scale.

Then, there's personal preference.
If you get used to working with a certain type of paper or card, then you may ignore other's advice!

Oh, and paying extra for better quality stuff really pays off.
I used to buy a cardstock from a Craft store (because I could buy it cheaper in smaller quantities)
but the surface finish was rougher and the print quality was poorer...I was never happy with the printing.
I went back to my usual cardstock brand and was much happier.
Yes, I was forced to buy larger packs, but the overall cost was actually cheaper...and I was glad to pay the extra for better print quality!

Last edited by airdave; 11-15-2021 at 09:22 AM.