View Single Post

Old 11-19-2021, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreinmann View Post
Hmm, I'll take a stab cause I like seeing how far from the correct responses of more experienced designers I might be.

I think you'd start with the base where the building meets the ground and the ground crews' overhang exists. Then the floor of the terminal. Next, inside the terminal a column structure to rise up and capture the "base" of the ceiling dome. If I'm reading the pic right, it looks like the dome is rather shallow, so maybe the inner column would have the shops and businesses on the outside in case you use transparency for the windows.

Okay, the windows next, assuming that these aren't curved or beveled, I'd fashion them as a string of pentagons that you would glue to the floor of the terminal along the outer edge. You could always add the vertical posts as strips of card or evergreen plastic as you saw fit for the 3D effect.

The peaks I would assemble last. There's a curve in each valley that I think you'll want to replicate, then the mountain at each peak. If you went complicated, that's two parts for each peak.

^u^u^u^u^u^

that defines the outer edge. Then I would extrude that - okay, I'm thinking in terms of your 3D graphic design program if I didn't make that clear - extrude that outer edge back to the surface of the dome and the program should slice the edge faces to meet the dome part. Again, you slice each to be two parts, a peak ^ and a valley u, flatten, texture paint and I think you're off to the races?
Oh no, I'm not modeling the inside! The windows are going to be simulated with a dark gray/blue color.

It seems pretty clear to me that I'm going to have to do the whole thing in 3D graphics then convert that to paper shapes... I'm wondering at this point which program would be best and easiest to use (I don't have any need to make characters or other complicated shapes). Then there's the question of materials... and how to simulate the roof thickness. Would I achieve that by folding (i.e. a surface for the top, edge, and bottom) or by using layers of material or possibly a sandwich with some thicker cardboard? Keep in mind the whole thing is only going to be 4.5" in diameter finished size...