View Single Post

Old 11-27-2021, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Fingers to mit Buzz's left hand

Dear all

So the last month has been very up and down for me, mostly down. However have managed to inch forward on progress of the model. So last time I had completed all the fingers and thumbs

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14425.jpg

So Buzz's left hand digits were selected

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14426.jpg

Then I started to join the fingers to each other. In each case deciding which joining tabs to remove between the fingers

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14427.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14428.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14429.jpg

The joins were too weak and needed strengthening straight away. Then came attaching the fingers to the mit.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14430.jpg

Gluegate! The fingers were too striff near their base and would not flex into the right position to fit into the mit. Ended up tearing and bodging the join near the base of the pinky

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14435.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14436.jpg

I then needed to get some strengthening layers around the joins to stop the whole thing tearing every time I touched it. This was slow (surprisingly delicate) work

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14431.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14432.jpg

Eventually got the hand stable

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14433.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14434.jpg

So now the thumb needed to be attached

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14437.jpg

I now knew these hands are going to need a lot of careful multi layered strengthening. At least 3 layers but possibly up to 6 layers in places. And so began the very slow process of doing that. Because of the curvature and very tight angles the strips could not be very big and each one (it seemed) required several dry fits and trimmings before it could be glued.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14438.jpg

I "discovered" (what everyone has probably known for years) that a dry glue spreader makes a good pressure rubbing stick

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14453.jpg

But slowly and surely strengthened the mit and fingers

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14454.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14455.jpg

until it was finished!

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14456.jpg

There was a totally unforeseen surprise, in that the "wrinkling" effect of the glue made the mit and fingers look leathery, as is really made from a cloth like material. I now need to do the other 3 hands . I am not sure if they will have their own "gluegate" issues but at least I know it should be manageable.

Regards

Kevin