View Single Post

Old 12-05-2021, 10:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
These are Kobenhavn curves set for shipbuilding. Very handy thing!
Thanks for mentioning this. I'd never heard of København (Copenhagen) curves before. Could you explain how you use them for cutting?

I've attached an example of something that I couldn't get to work well with French curves or a bendable curve. This is a common graphical method of constructing a circle and putting it into perspective. It is only approximate. When projecting a circle using the perspective projection, the resulting figure will always be an ellipse. I could never get the curve through the points p7, p23, p16, p4, p17, 18, p5, p19, p20, p6, p21, p22 , p7 in the perspective drawing to look very elliptical.

In figures 1 and 2, the red curve is the path through the points. While 12 points is not many for determining a curve, the result looks pretty good. When you're doing it by hand, plotting 12 points like this can be pretty tedious.

In figures 2 and 3, the violet curve is a circle generated in the normal way, using one of the equations for a circle. Especially when magnified, it shows clearly how approximate this construction is.

The thing that bothers me about French curves is that while obviously the radius of curvature changes continuously, I could never find any information about what the radius is at any given point and according to what rule it changes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ctemp.pdf (17.2 KB, 8 views)