Thread: Linoleum cut
View Single Post

Old 12-06-2021, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I started cutting the block, which is quite enjoyable and my reward for all the preparation (linol16.jpg). I discovered that it's hard to keep track of what's been cut and what's not, so I decided to paint the sections that are not to be cut. I used white gouache on the theory that it should be easier to remove than ink. It definitely helps.

cobweb_1.jpg shows an illustration I made for Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream". It's a gouache painting on paper; not black paper, the background is also gouache. I used GIMP to reverse the colors and also to reverse the image (i.e., to make a mirror image), in case I wanted to make a stencil for transferring the picture to a linoleum block (cobweb_1_a4.pdf --- two pages).

However, I decided to try something different: Since cutting out stencils is also time-consuming, I wanted to try using transfer film for textiles for transferring the picture to the block (cobweb01.jpg -- cobweb04.jpg). It worked fairly well. The toner bled so the result is a bit blurry, so this method probably wouldn't be good for anything very precise, but for this drawing it's okay. It would appear that the heat of the iron scorched the surface of the linoleum but that probably won't make a difference. cibweb04.jpg shows the paper backing of the transfer film. On the left side, I mistakenly printed on the back. I printed out the image not reversed because it's transferred twice, once to the transfer film and once to the block (a bit like offset printing).
Attached Thumbnails
Linoleum cut-linol16.jpg   Linoleum cut-linol17.jpg   Linoleum cut-cobweb_1.jpg   Linoleum cut-cobweb01.jpg   Linoleum cut-cobweb02.jpg  

Linoleum cut-cobweb03.jpg   Linoleum cut-cobweb04.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cobweb_1_a4.pdf (293.6 KB, 2 views)