Thread: Freecad
View Single Post

Old 01-11-2022, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 26.71 MB
I've used FreeCAD quite a bit, but mostly for creating 3D parts and exporting the STL files for 3D printing said parts. Beyond individual parts, I've not done much with assemblies or other features that might be useful for paper model design. I find it quite similar enough to both Solidworks and Inventor (3D design suites for mechanical design used in industry) to jump in; yet the differences and weaknesses stand out all the more to me at times (especially when I'm trying to create spherical parts with other features on them).

Good thing about open source software like FreeCAD, it's free as well as being under constant (albeit very slow) development. Dr. Adrian Boyle (recently knighted, so Sir), one of the founders of the REPRAP (REPlicating RAPid) 3D printing standards at the University of Bath in England uses it extensively for his projects, giving it quite a bit of support recently do to those efforts.

Keep an eye out for good YouTube tutorials, I'd be very interested in good English language ones myself. I cannot think of any off the top of my head that might benefit paper model design at the moment, but that is likely an oversight on my part (after all, here it sits on my computer under my nose in plain sight...).