Thread: The Delta Queen
View Single Post

Old 03-04-2022, 07:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwi View Post
Paint buildup is certainly an issue when fine angles in small scales are concerned. Some people would use an airbrush for this. I would try adding the paint in diluted multiple layers, taking care not to warp or tear the card. This is how people paint plastic kits with a brush. Alternatively, depending on your level of patience you could break this wheel into circles and spokes that could be painted separately and joined afterwards, avoiding having to paint in the corners.

You could also try cutting a mask from masking tape for the white circle, or gluing it on from a thin paper cutout. It looks from some photos of paddle wheels that the circular bands were proud of the spokes so that could help matters.

To make the white line on the disk that you see. I made a pattern and traced around it with a white gel pen. Those lines represent steel bands that are screwed to the wheel as a support to keep it together.

I found the idea of pieces intriguing. Your suggesting that after I cut out the holes, I cut the disk into smaller pieces, paint them, and then glue them back together? The card I'm using is 0.6mm thick, so there are surfaces that could be glued. Would the disk loose flexibility? What glue would you use?