View Single Post

Old 03-04-2022, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by craft View Post
hello!
but the strangest thing is the following: every time i connect the pc to the internet, all the pdf files become extremely slow to open, and edit. (especially the ones I got after the lightning. the ones I got while my cell phone provides internet).
...as soon as I disconnect the PC from the internet...the pdfs are very fast again (to open and edit) (I used adobe)

Another important issue that is happening to me is the following:
(Of course, here in South America it is common to see obsolete PCs doing critical and highly demanding jobs)
Well, my pc is "fairly strong and fast" when opening files and editing them...
one day i just put the pngs, pdfs... on a flash drive and went to a print shop.... the owner said that he couldn't print my files because his pc was slowing down until it crashed.
(they were of many many pixels of resolution) I assumed that either the guy's pc was bad... or my flash drive was faulty (or my files).
some time went by and today went to THREE print shops (including a very reliable one)...they were all blocked or slowed down.
I don't have a solution for your problem but a couple of things occurred to me that might possibly be helpful:

I can think of two things that would cause a PDF file to be slow to load in a viewer: 1. Your viewer is downloading something from the internet. 2. The file is extremely large. What you write suggests that 1. is happening and 2. is true.

To the best of my knowledge, PDF files are self-contained, whereas PostScript (PS) files may or may not be. Some background: In case you don't know this, PDF and PostScript are two related formats, both developed by Adobe, with the difference that PDF was designed for file exchange and PostScript for sending to printers. In addition, PostScript is a language used for "page descriptions" and also for designing and generating the fonts used in both PS and PDF files. PS and PDF can easily be converted from one to the other. In particular, PDF is converted to PS when printing and a printer will contain a "PostScript interpreter" which converts the PostScript code into instructions for the particular hardware of the printer. It's possible that some printers might be able to skip this step and process PDF directly, I don't know.

A PostScript font may be a "vector" font or a "bit-map" font. This may have something to do with your problem. In a vector font, the letter shapes are essentially defined in terms of equations, so that, for example, a line is stored in the form of two points and an instruction to fill in the pixels between the lines. In a bit-map font, on the other hand, data is stored for each of the pixels in the line. Vector fonts are therefore 1. more compact and 2. scalable.

Your files may well contain bit-map fonts, especially since you mention Oriental characters, and this will tend to increase the size of your files. Can you try getting rid of them for testing purposes? In addition, I think it's possible that the font definitions are being downloaded from the internet. I would expect that local definitions would be used, if present. Perhaps this isn't happening. If a font definition can't be found, a viewer will load a default font as an alternative. Are all the fonts displayed correctly when your computer isn't connected to the internet? Of course, I don't think this should be happening anyway with a self-contained PDF file, but something is definitely happening, so maybe I'm wrong.

As I wrote, I believe PDF files are meant to be self-contained. I therefore don't understand why your viewer would be causing internet traffic. However, in order to test this, you could install a "packet analyzer" and examine the internet traffic on your machine while your file is loading into the viewer. Then you would know more.

This is a list of packet analyzers:

Packet analyzer - Wikipedia

I've used tcpdump and possibly Wireshark and ngrep. It was a long time ago, though.

Another thing you could try would be to reduce the resolution. This is possible in GIMP, for example.

I hope this information will be of use to you. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.