View Single Post

Old 03-08-2022, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale

Although my previous project is not finished yet, I felt the need to start something new. Well, new is relative as this current model has been built several times before and excellent build threads are available on this (Olo!) and other sites. In any case, it's been on my pile ever since 2015 and I couldn't resist its call any longer.

The SBD-3 Dauntless doesn't need much introduction, the famous dive bomber from the Midway era, starting a turning point in the pacific war. In my (really) younger years I already felt fascinated by this aircraft, sketched many pictures, read books and built the very fine Matchbox plastic model. I believe it was scale 1:32 and the "5" version. The model didn't survive but the fascination remained.

Halinski published this model in 2006 if I'm not mistaken. The pages are packed with parts, and the instruction drawings equally dense. A thorough study of all parts, where to find them and where they're indicated in the drawings are prerequisite. I prepared an Excel overview for my own reference and to strike out all part numbers that are done, otherwise it's very easy to loose track and forget parts.

Along with the model I bought the laser cut sets (three pages; 2x 1mm thick and 1x 0.5mm thick) and the pre-vacuumed canopy.

The build starts with the cockpit, which is a piece of art by itself. Excellent reference pictures can be found when googling on "SBD-3 Dauntless cockpit".

I fully agree with Olo's remark during his build that although the model is very detailed, it's always nice to add a bit of something of yourself. That's what I intend to do as well. One of those things is to detail the grid floor in the gunner's compartment. I cut out that section, deepened the floor and used 0.5mm plastic rod to create the grid. Silly work and I wonder if it will be visible in the end, but the fact that it's there, I know it's there , justifies the effort.

Next are the pedals in both pilot's and gunner's compartments, as well as the double steering mechanism. Both crew members where physically separated and should the pilot be "incapacitated" (what a word...), then the gunner would have some chance of survival. He didn't have any forward visibility so chances would be slim. In any case better than nothing.

The design of all these small parts is impeccable and it keeps on amazing me how much detail can be obtained by paper alone. Never fails to fascinate.

That's it for now,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8708.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8709.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8710.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8711.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8712.jpg  

SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8713.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8714.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8715.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8716.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8717.jpg  

SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8718.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8719.jpg