View Single Post

Old 03-09-2022, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.79 MB
Some progress has been made on the superstructure and some of the ship’s distinctive profile is starting to appear. In adding some detail to the model I have drilled out all the portholes and cut out all the windows in the bridge structure. After colouring the white edges, I have glazed all these openings with clear nail varnish (applied from the back).
I find that the nail varnish has a thick consistency that is simple to apply and can be teased out to cover fairly large openings. I was a little concerned about some larger openings situated on angles of the lower bridge structure, but even these were filled effectively with the varnish. With this method, light is defracted a little unevenly – this ensures the portholes have a bit of sparkle - and I hope that at this scale it doesn’t matter too much with the larger window spaces either, as on a real ship there would be persons moving and various pieces of equipment seen dimly through the windows on the ship’s bridge.
The model provides some interesting detail inside the aircraft hangar at the rear, so after some thought about how the hangar door operates, I have simulated it in the open position, with the intention of displaying one of the aircraft, with wings folded, on its trolley inside. Another aircraft can then be mounted on the catapult.
Attached Thumbnails
Dunkerque 1:250 scale-p1020988.jpg   Dunkerque 1:250 scale-p1020996.jpg   Dunkerque 1:250 scale-p1020995.jpg