Thread: USB Issue
View Single Post

Old 03-11-2022, 01:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
USB Issue

I haven't post anything in quite some time as I have been dealing with some health issues and just recently we moved to a new house. I apologize for my absence.

That said, I have an issue that has severely compromised my current laptop. Yesterday when I inserted a "known good" flash drive into the usb port, nothing happened except for the usual chime sound. The drive did not show up in file explorer and when I checked the flash drive on another laptop it worked just fine.

I used device manager to look at the usb ports and one had a "code 38" error. I have attached a screenshot of that error. I used device manager to uninstall the usb port and the error persisted when I re-inserted the flash drive. This flash drive contains sensitive information that I need to access and of course I cannot update any of my backup flash drives for this PC.

I have also run a windows registry cleaner (eusing) and attempted to update the driver for this device. Windows assured me that the driver is up to date.

I don't want to use one of those "update all your drivers" apps since they tend to be full of malware.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

At this point I don't really want to replace this laptop since it's fairly new. And without a usb option on this PC I would need to pull the hard drive and slave it to a new laptop just to get all of the files off of it. Fortunately, I did file my taxes early this year, so I just need to recover the pdf's of the tax forms.

I really do appreciate this forum. It has given me a great deal of pleasure and entertainment over the years

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
USB Issue-usb-error.jpg