Thread: The Delta Queen
View Single Post

Old 03-23-2022, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.69 MB
I've progressed some

I finished cutting out the second round of wheel disks. (Just so everyone knows, I've decided that good enough is if it looks good at arm's length.) I made an axle by wrapping white paper around a bamboo skewer until I got a 4 mm shaft. The disks fit on it fine, so the next step is painting them.

Some random Youtuber, industrial engineer says you're supposed to paint cardboard with shellac before painting. I assume this is to make sure the cardboard is sealed so that whatever you put on next covers evenly. I didn't have shellac, but I had some acrylic varnish, so I used that undiluted. I've started putting primer on top of the varnish, again undiluted.

One side of the disks now has two coats of primer on them. The corners are filling up again. But, the varnish under the primer has made sanding a much more viable process. I've finally got it in my thick head that diluting acrylics is done, not to increase work, but to preserve details....i.e. corners. I'll be diluting everything from now on.
Attached Thumbnails
The Delta Queen-wheel-unassembled-unpainted.jpg