View Single Post

Old 03-30-2022, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Wayne - To answer your question from Post#11: I have a first edition of Friedman's U.S. Destroyers: An Illustrated Design History (Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982). The images are sharp. There are no images of Pope.

Don
Don,
The 1982 printing is very hard to find, and expensive. Otherwise, I would likely have purchased one. I was curious about the recent (2021) printing, which has had some bad reviews for poor quality of the photos. The recent edition has info on destroyers built since 1982, and it is available, though still pricey. Anyway, any thoughts on the newer printing?

I recently received a copy of the Warship Perspectives on the Flush-Deckers. It has very few drawings, but a lot of photos and camo sketches. Some of the photos confirm a couple of odd armament variations. Some flush-deckers had 3"DP guns in place of the aft torpedo tubes, potentially giving them 6 x 3" DP guns, with a broadside of 4 guns.

I also found some images online of USS Hovey (DD208) and USS Long (DD209) were armed with 3 twin 4" guns. USS Stockton (DD73) also had a twin 4" mounting on its bow - apparently the other mounts were singles.
Wayne