Thread: Ship plans
View Single Post

Old 04-02-2022, 05:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
Update to the post above.
I found One sheet of the set of plans of the ship for which I was looking after clicking through the "WikiMedia Commons" site.

The resolution of the plan is much much better than I remember it being on the Greenwich Museum site several years ago (The file size is huge, small print is now legible, and some faint pencilings are visible).

However, searching these posted plans seems to be a brute force process.

Even having the catalogue number, I cannot search for it on the Museum site, which was possible a year years ago.
Things change, I guess we should be grateful for having experienced the Internet Golden Age, which preceded the current Internet Greate Dysmal Swampe.
Some Eastern Eggs are hidden in the Greenwich Museum's website, and they're being replaced with new ones every now and than....

Here's a "how to get a hi-res sample plan for HMS Fiji (1939)" from the Greenwich Museum.

1 - go to this page

2 - click on Plan for HMS 'Fiji' (1939) (or click here)

3 - right-click the sample image, choose "open image in new tab" (or click here)

4 - check the "url" in the adressbar of your browser. You'll see it ends with "J9379_1000x.jpg?v=1644230767"

5 - change the "1000x.jpg" part of the url into "5000x.jpg" and reload the page. now a larger version of the sample images will be shown. (or click here)

6 - right-click on the image and save as.......

This process works with more ships, so just brows the plans and perform some "trial and error" searching using this method, but.......

the jpg filename in the url needs to start with a capital letter, mostly this is a J or a M. In case the filename starts with a small j or m it means there's no larger version available

As said, these larger sample versions of plans are being offered by the museum itself, so no act of internet piracy.
The museum replaces the offered drawings every few months, so it's worth to visit this website every now and then, as there will be new drawings available