View Single Post

Old 04-16-2022, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Fairfax VA Model Classic 2022 show

To give it its proper title: The Northern Virginia Modelers (IPMS) Model Classic 2022. This is a major regional plastic modelers show, with plenty of amazing models competing in numerous categories, lots of vendors, and good on-site food service. The show is held at Fairfax High School and is a fundraiser for their choral group, which opened the show with a fine rendition of the National Anthem. They also ran the food concession, with donuts, coffee, baked goods, hot dogs, pizza, snacks, and desserts. They even run a food cart through the vendors area for the vendors who can not leave their tables!

This show has always been very welcoming to our paper modeling group, giving us prime real estate just as attendees enter after registration. The organizers also encouraged people to visit our exhibit.

This year, we had six tables. Mine (Anne McCombs) was first. I exhibited a variety of models, including my three 50-year architectural models; a variety of other architecture; my Sherman and Kettenkrad; a collection of 1:300 Scissors and Planes models, and a selection of AirDave’s KoolWheelz.

Peter Ansoff had a selection of his models, including three Alcan autos; his famous zeppelin docking at the Empire State Building; his huge steam locomotive; several other models, and of course everyone’s favorite, the barn owl.

On the next table, Peter set up a tribute to Alan Rose, with the star being the immense DC-3 forward fuselage & wings. It spanned the table!

Peter Heesch had three tables: one of built display models of various ships, and two tables of unbuilt kits for sale. He reported being pleased with good sales.

The show is organized with most of the vendors located in the halls outside the auditorium, and the competition models inside the auditorium. There was also a raffle table at which ticket purchasers are pretty well guaranteed to win something. For $20, I came home with five plastic kits: a battleship, submarine, tank (Yay!), and two aircraft. Competition models are in a vast variety of categories. Aircraft far outnumber the rest, with plenty of armor, autos, sci-fi and fantasy figures, ships, great dioramas, and even some dinosaurs.

After a two-year Covid hiatus, I think the show was a success and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

I did not bring anything I could take photos with, but Peter Ansoff took some shots and said he could post them.