View Single Post

Old 05-04-2022, 10:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
To me there are two important things that make a Viking longship what it is ... the dragonhead and the shields! For the shields I am planning to either provide single shields you can place how you like or create a part that has a line of overlapping shields (much easier to cutout and handle).

So the first textured test build looked this. In the closeup you see the seem where the exterior hull parts meet and it breaks the illusion of the seamless hull. So I went and redesigned these parts to also follow the contour of planks and the second version looked much better. I think you really have to look closely to be able to see the seams now!

I had yet to make a dragonhead part. I have just duplicated the end "tail" spiral ornament for this build. Actually I hope to make a couple of dragonhead options (in case you want to build a fleet of different looking ships).

So the first dragonhead I found during research that I liked was one where the round shape is used. In the last testbuild I also added many options to the texturing that I found missing from the first. You can see nails where the planks join (esp. in the bow/stern section) or I have added closed caps for the openings where the rowing oars would go through.

So at this stage I am getting happy with the look and build of the hull!
Attached Thumbnails
Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03649.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03648.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03668.jpg   Viking Longship (waterline model)-dsc03676.jpg