View Single Post

Old 05-21-2022, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
So the next issue was striping...
I already know about the type and placement of the black bands on all tail surfaces.
Tail stripes are standard Euro(ETO) Recognition Markings (white on drab, black on bare metal)

Unlike P-51s, that had wide bands on both horizontal stabilizers and main wings for a period,
there are no matching wing bands designated on P-47s.

But what about D-Day stripes?

Obviously all aircraft had Invasion stripes applied in June of 1944, and 9th Air Force P47s carried the same.

At first the fuselage was wrapped with the black and white stripes, as was(were?) the wings.
But in July of 1944, the upper fuselage stripes were painted over or removed, leaving only the underside striping.

I noticed the photos I have of Maj Mac, all show the underside fuselage stripes.
And most of the photos claim to be taken in 1945.

I don't have a photo taken from the right angle, so I looked very hard to see what wing striping was present.

In September of 1944, all wing (Invasion) striping was removed.
And sure enough, I was able to brighten and zoom in on one photo to verify there are no wing stripes anywhere, top or bottom.

I decided to stick with the photos I have and acknowledge the dates.

Maj Mac was shot down and lost in March of 1945, so this is how she would have appeared in February 1945,
and probably how she looked when she was lost.