View Single Post

Old 05-30-2022, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Grumman Hellcat 1:72

Hello all,

This is my rather modified build of Thaipaperwork's Hellcat in 1:72 scale. I was after a simple kit following the Airbus build but couldn't keep myself from adding a lot more detail to this model. The main additions are: canopy glazed and open; scratchbuilt simple cockpit with seat, panel, stick and seatbelts; wheel wells opened; more realistic tyres and landing gear; engine detail (all 18 cylinders of the R2800 are in there); chin intakes detail; protruding guns; pitot tube; cowl flaps and exhuast ports opened - and more realistic prop and spinner which actually spins. I also went over the model with acrylic paints to get more realistic colour and some light weathering such as exhaust stains and scribing the panels.

This was a good simple kit and a new modeller could make a good job of this unmodified in a short time. There are about 30 parts with an optional drop tank and very clear instructions included with the download.

For some reason the forwardmost white panel on the fuselage insignias wasn't there, so I added this as best I could with a white pen.

Try as I might I couldn't persuade a hair to adhere to the radio masts though!