View Single Post

Old 06-01-2022, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Good Morning!

I use felt pens to do my edges. There are some sets available with many colors (Sets with about 100 can be found on Amazon, although the colors we need are invariably somewhere between the shades the sets offer!).

Normally I'll choose two felt pen colors for each basic model color. The first is a slightly lighter color than, for example, your hull red and is for the edge of the paper where you've made the cuts. You go lighter because the paper grains draw in the ink and the color appears darker than you expected. You must use a light touch with the pen -- don't just sit the pen in one place because the paper will keep pulling in the ink until you move. You can practice on some scrap paper from the kit.

The second pen is darker than the first and is used for the flat surface of the paper in places where an attaching part doesn't quite fit to the line and white paper would show.

Felt pen colors never match perfectly but they still disguise the cuts and joints and are easy to use, and the overall model looks much better. (By the way, I know there are skilled people who can mix the paints to get precisely the right color, but I am not one of those!)

Best regards,
Kurt