Thread: old stuff
View Single Post

Old 06-02-2022, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
old stuff update

Hi All;
These photos date back to the late seventies through the eighties, before the tremors started. Having gotten fed up with inaccurate commercial models of the time and the fact that the selection of ships was very narrow, the only way that there was to get a model of a famous ship that no one ever heard of was to dive into scratch building. There isn't a lot of difference between the design of a card model ship and one of these. Though my preference is for waterline models, several of these are full hull. In those days getting enough information to design a ship was a nightmare of frustration. Good clear photographs were not readily available, not to mention way beyond my meager financial resources. Back then, the internet was a thing of the future and most of these models required plans drawn by hand. The Suwannee was a converted oil tanker and the plans were drawn as an oil tanker having the flight deck attached. There were a few commercial plans around at the time, but they were usually full of inaccuracies and not always in a convenient scale. It was a stroke of good fortune when a friend loaned me a set of drawings from the booklet of general plans for the USS Craven. Even so it took a great deal of staring of photographs to figure out how to do the trunks that lead into the stack.
Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-uss-massachusetts.jpg   old stuff-uss-alaska.jpg   old stuff-uss-craven.jpg   old stuff-uss-marblehead.jpg   old stuff-uss-suwannee.jpg