View Single Post

Old 06-07-2022, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
I am sure that no offense was intended.
I'm not offended at all, as I do recognize the Dutch themselves are to be blamed for causing this misunderstanding. Like I mentioned, the term "Holland" was used as a "brand name" for decades to attract tourists and foreign investors.
On the personal level, I don't like the created image of "windmills and tulips etc" that much, but that's my own problem....

It's the historian in me that appreciates a certain degree of accuracy in naming locations and areas in the correct way. So using Holland in this context is just as incorrect as saying Texas is part of New York (or vice versa)......

Interesting story about the church bells, as during WW2 the Germans took a lot of church bells out of church towers to melt them to use the metals for the weaponindustry. The bells from the church in my hometown were also taken, and ended up at the bottom of the IJsselmeer as well. Will dig a bit deeper in this, I think

@Vermin_King: did anyone tell you what your nickname means in Dutch (although it's spelled "Verminking")?
@Philip: My apologies for hijacking your thread