View Single Post

Old 06-13-2022, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

since the matter has not left me in peace, I have researched intensively again and now I know the innovations and connections around the former NASA media archive, which no longer exists as such.

There was a similar confusion years ago after a change in NASA photo archiving along the lines of: Now and then some quite a novelty ... when the old URLs (www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov) were no longer found, but what I managed to figure it out.

Instead, one now has to search the NASA Image and Video Library website, e.g. after the year abbreviation of the NASA photo number, if you know it.

The search on https://images.nasa.gov/ nach 2010-2664

resulted in the photo I know of the STS-132, here in the Medium resolution (856x1280), which I've linked with the Original resolution (2008x3000).

Even better, however, is the content search which I once tested for the Payload Canister Transporter that is of interest to me now, after which this gallery was displayed to me, which immediately offers an overview of the available photos, from which one can then select and directly access the photo of interest and download the desired resolution.

And in this overview, along with many other well-known photos, I noticed this red framed photo (KSC-08pd3303) of the STS-126, which was not in my collection so far, where one has a good direct view of the transporter and the support plates in this position, which is particularly important for measuring details, since oblique perspectives are distorted always.

And of course I used that immediately to be able to determine the dimensions of the larger of the two Support plates for the Vertical transport more precisely, what one can see here, since I've linked this image section again with the Original resolution.

Source: images.nasa.gov/

The image also clearly shows the effort I have to put in to determine the dimensions of such small details that I need for their scratch-building.

And so there are certainly more photos with interesting perspectives that will help me with the construction of these transport plates.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)