View Single Post

Old 06-20-2022, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Simply put, when an entity takes legal measures to protect their IP they probably have a very good reason for doing so, a lot of entities take NO measures to protect their IP such as trademarks or copyrights, that stuff is, "fair game" because it's not legally protected.

As previously stated, I would only advocate that a designer avoid using protected IP if possible because designing paper models is fun and it's even more fun when you know that you've avoided any potential headaches.

Some international entities are more protective than others, I would only suggest that you, "tread lightly" because not everything you see is, "fair use" and you shouldn't assume that it is.

With that being said, I would say "Design on!"... (the world needs more paper models!)

Me personally?, I am in constant communication with every entity that I approach before I even begin, I prefer not to use protected IP without their expressed consent.

As a matter of fact, I avoid protected IP and, "move on" if it can't be avoided because it's just not worth the hassle.

I've found it beneficial to gain their full support as they may then provide resources and reference materials as well as potential outlets that might not otherwise be available, worth the initial outreach and more than likely they will appreciate the consideration whether they choose to comply or not but at least you will know where you stand rather than just, "shooting in the dark", and, "hoping for the best".

I'm not singling out this specific application but see it as an opportunity to broach a very important issue that deserves consideration always as it is a matter of, "self-preservation" for the designer.

Take it or leave makes no difference to me as long as I don't have to do it I'm okay with it! (enjoy!)

Last edited by FRD; 06-20-2022 at 02:00 PM.