View Single Post

Old 07-05-2022, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Soon after the original experiment with the Yellow Submarine, I got thoroughly involved with Eiffel Tower models. The very first was a beautiful success, ever since, the Cricut has been resolute in refusing to cut all those little triangles that makes the model so attractive. The obvious course took me to the library and their brand new laser cutter "tinker space." I have been enjoying this project. Big ones, small ones, redrawing the model from photos, big ones again. But Al...there is no texture artwork. Which brings me back to the Yellow Submarine and future models.

I am looking at the technique based on little squares in the corners, that can be used as registration marks. Much less demanding of real estate than the Cricut method. More immediate than the method described by Mr. Laurence, but not anywhere near as repeatable. The cutting app is adjusted so that the cutter cuts out the little squares, and THEN the rest of the model is forwarded for cutting. In my case, the texture art is in Gimp, while the cutter is working from SVG files which can be from GiMP (in kind of a roundabout way) or Inkscape.

The hope is as Mr. Rumbeard says, to achieve more exact cuts, especially while designing and tweaking a model. If the registration method can be made much more sequential, repeatable all this will be worthwhile.

Watch this space...