View Single Post

Old 07-09-2022, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile Another prologue of Midway Battle

Well friends, we bring another contribution to the Midway collection, but what does the ROCAF Martim 139WC have to do with the Battle of Midway? The Martim 139 (B-10) as we know was one of the most modern bombers put into service in the world in the mid-1930s. Nationalist China acquired half a dozen of these planes in 1936, being one of the fastest planes on Chinese soil in this period. (More than some biplane fighters of the time) The Chinese used their 139s to attack metropolitan Japan, on a flight that left Hankou with just two planes dropping propaganda denouncing the massacres of the Japanese on Chinese land in Kyoshu via Ningbo. This epic flight carried out in 1938 was not intercepted by Japan's air defenses being the first air strikes carried out on Metropolitan Japan. After 1941 the US really decided to take seriously the various reports that the Chinese allies sent and that were lost in Washington's bureaucracy, between Chennault's reports on Japanese air power and the emergence of the A6M Zero in 1939! When the Doolittle attack was planned, American strategists came across the 1938 Chinese mission report and one thing caught everyone's attention: Japanese arrogance about the impossibility of attacking their islands. This practically psychological component was taken into account, and the B-10, despite being obsolete in 1942, was one of the aircraft studied to take off from the Hornet beacuse the range and size. So this is one of the prologues of the battle in my view as a professional in history.
The model is classic Fiddlers Green, scaled down to 1/100, repainted by Gerry1966, and a correction I designed myself that adjusts the canopys in size and proportion.