Thread: Estes Power
View Single Post

Old 07-16-2022, 10:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Back on Project

Today I am back on this project. Time to get them in the air.

One rocket is ready for flight, the other is final steps of construction.

An issue with flight after checking weight and balance CG location: These will have oversize fins and the engine bells will not be attached for flight-very unstable flight could result!

Super large fins would be needed for the engine bells: experimenting with a Clear Fin option to double the size of the current stabilizer fins as an overlay top skin. The only other option is to add a weight to the nosecone.

The clear fins: Bought some ink-jet overhead projector clear film. Print on this and then transfer/glue to a heavy sheet of clear plastic-I have several sheets saved. Fins can be printed larger and plan is to extend them below the skirts so that the original fin leading edge is the same. This will decrease the size needed and still give better control. Clear enough all you will see is the balsa and cardstock version. The extension should be almost invisible.

I will laminate the overhead projector film into several layers to see if it can handle the flight loads-simplifies the build process by needing fewer items.

Been super busy these last few months. Airplane stuff and built a huge High Tunnel Greenhouse, 15ft x 24ft and did a full raised bed garden by hauling in over 30yds of dirt. The remainder was wheelbarrowed and shoveled by hand into a large flower garden. All 30yds were moved with a shovel.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 07-16-2022 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Weight added