View Single Post

Old 07-24-2022, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

let's go into and win fight for the tenths of a millimeter when gluing the puzzle pieces onto the small transportation plate!

First I intended to do the Tie-down Lug Plate, the three parts of which I glued one after the other with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). To do this, I put the middle disc with the snippet and the outer disc on a needle (Ø 0,5 mm), on which I can align both parts precisely beforehand, after which I then paint a brush stroke with MEK, which is enough to glue them together.

Since the hold of the needle on the Balsa board was not stable enough, I've clamped the needle in a clamp and clamped it firmly to the tabletop. After that I was able to align the panes in peace and carefully wet the edges with MEK with the tip of the brush. The bonding can be accelerated by blowing lightly on the splice immediately afterwards, which means that the MEK quickly evaporates and the parts are connected in no time, which I learned from a friend at a trade fair.

Then the needle was clamped around and the other disc was glued on the back in the same way.

Then the opening was re-drilled a little and the thickness of the plate was measured,

which actually stayed within the predetermined range with 0,4 mm.

Then I put the two Hold-down Clevis Plates) on a stick from both sides and measured the thickness of this arrangement,

which with 0,79 mm also remained within the required range (≤ 0,8 mm), which cannot be seen on the caliper rule,

and you just have to believe me.

After that, I could go about gluing the Clevis brackets to the smaller transportation plate with a clear conscience, which I had to think carefully about beforehand, based on the drawing.

These are the two brackets under which the small base plate of the hold-down fork has to fit, for which I have in mind a detachable connection, like at the original, whereby the Clevises can be plugged in for vertical transportation and pulled out for horizontal transportation, what of course complicates the whole thing a bit.

For this I came up with the following solution.

The underside of the outer bracket I've dabbed a drop of the normal Revell glue and set it down with the tweezers against the stop of the steel ruler and immediately checked and slightly corrected its position. Then I supported the gluing with some MEK on both sides and checked the lower free space with a strip (0,4 mm x 1,5 mm).

Gluing the other bracket was inevitably more difficult, which is why I checked its arrangement beforehand and thought about how best to proceed, especially since everything is quickly glued together with the MEK, and inseparably so, which of course shouldn't happen.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)