View Single Post

Old 07-26-2022, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V

WELCOME!!!!

This is my second model that I will have the privilege to share the build progress with you all here on the forum. For Tonight's special I'll be bringing you the first 20ish hours of work that I've got done.

But first, I would like to share with you my plans for this model.

For this model my focus is extreme detail and accuracy to the actual MK.V Spitfire. This model will have an engine without cowling. I will build it to show the engine and all associated components. I have yet to decide if I will somehow build a removable cowl to fit around it to close it all up. Moving aft, the cockpit will be as accurate to the actual plane as possible with all gauges, controls, and structure/substructures. The wing will be built as if it were being built in the manufacturing shop. By building a removable panel over the top of one side of the wing, it will feature exposed spars, ribs, and stringers. It will also feature the guns, landing gear assembly, and associated internal wing components. On top of all of this, the model will also feature controllable/functional ailerons, flaps, elevator, rudder, retractable main landing gear, open/close cockpit canopy, and cockpit door

The model will sit approximately ~20cm(8'') tall, ~67cm(26'') long, with a wingspan of ~85cm(33''). Huh... now that I do the math, that is pretty damn big. I must have messed up my scaling somehow.. It was supposed to be ~60cm wingspan and ~45cm length.. Oh well. I guess I'll just have a really big model. I now have no idea where I will put this once it is done. My wife is going to love me.. Maybe I'll build into it sections that sperate..

Onto the photos, I didn't take a whole lot of pics during the build process. between the 3rd and 4th photos is a rebuild of almost the entire engine due to my lovely dog, she ate it... damn dog. The engine still has a lot of work to do on it. I expect the next update will show some significant progress on it.

I'm excited to bring you another model using my unique build style. I hope you all enjoy the updates as they come; I look forward to keeping them coming.

I expect that I will have this model, super unfinished, at the 2022 IPMC. There I will be working on it for those interested in seeing me scratch build live.
Attached Thumbnails
Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123720.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123122.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220716_101335.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_122954.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123013.jpg  

Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123021.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123028.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123036.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220713_103658.jpg