View Single Post

Old 08-04-2022, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello Guys,

after I did successfully scratch the first Hold-down clevis quite well, I've glued the remaining three clevises together too.

Because the simultaneous gluing of the plates with MEK proved to be too unstable due to the minimal adhesive edges, I proceeded a little differently this time and used my steady hand and my eagle eyes trusted.

This time I fixed the base plate strip (1,3 m) to a steel ruler so that nothing could slip. Then I wet a Clevis plate lightly on the lower edge with Revell glue and carefully close to the edge of the strip (approx. 0,2 mm) placed at its end. After that, there was still enough time for the finest position corrections.

I then glued the other plate in the same way, inserted a spacer strip the thickness of the Tie-down Lug Plate (0,4 mm) between the plates and gently pressed both together with the tweezers. Then the position of the plates was adjusted to each other and the central position of the pair of plates was checked and adjusted if necessary, which worked quite well.

After that, to be on the safe side, I brushed the glued areas of both plates with MEK and cut off the base plate strip flush,

and the second Clevis was done too.

The two remaining Clevises then followed in the same way.

And as one can see, the Tie-down Lug Plate still fits in between, which was my biggest concern at first.

Next I tackled the two stoppers that one can see in this image on either side of the bottom of the canister. In my opinion these are more likely to be Sliding shoes for the Payload Canister, through which is guaranteed a certain guidance of the canister when the canister is set down on the Transporter as well as during unloading and hoisting into the RSS-Payload Bay.

Source: wikimedia.org (STS-132)

The fact that this PLC-Hoisting is an extremely complicated and not without danger process, I was just reading in James MacLaren's Page 51 on the Canister Hoisting System in his treatise about the structure of the Launch Complex 39-B, what I can warmly recommend to all interested parties, which made a lot of things clearer to me, such as the need for additional securing of the canister on the "kneeling" transporter with several Tethers (Tag lines) during the Canister is hanging on the crane hook.

Source: James MacLaren - The Construction of Space Shuttle Launch Complex 39-B (Page 51)

The sliding shoes sit on base plates, which are screwed onto the smaller Transportation Support Plates of the transporter during the Vertical Transportation mode.

For the base plate I used an Evergreen strip (0,75 mm x 1,5 mm), which I filed down to a width of 1,2 mm and cropped to 2,4 mm length.

For the sliding shoe, I filed an Evergreen strip (1,5 mm x 1,5 mm) to 1,2 mm x 1,3 mm, which was cropped to 3,5 mm length.

Then I wanted to do a first vertical test fitting of the canister on this transport plate and I have glued on the PLC base plate (0,5 mm x 2 mm x 2 mm) as a support for the canister,

have temporarily put the base plate of the sliding shoe on and set up the canister, what fits together quite well.

And this is what the finished sliding shoe looks like,

which is here standing on the plate, in front of it the Clevis is standing already,

which is inserted here with the inserted Lug Plate in the brackets,

but what is hardly recognizable from this distance.

The same Transportation support plate now will follow for the other corner, and then the two larger Transportation support plates will follow.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)