View Single Post

Old 08-04-2022, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
The first is mean of words in context of the following sentence: "Stone is slung under a high gear in about the same manner, chain being used instead of rope." (ABOK, p. 43, The Drayman, the last sentence). Is this is about stone lifting with some three legs mechanism and chain?
I would say securing rather than lifting, but I don't know for sure. "Stone" here is used in the same sense as "logs" in the text: Stone is secured for transport using a method similar to the one described for logs in the example, except using chain instead of rope. It's not a nautical knot, it's in the chapter "Occupational Knots" under "The Drayman":

"A drayman was historically the driver of a dray, a low, flat-bed wagon without sides, pulled generally by horses or mules that were used to transport all kinds of goods." Drayman - Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
The second thing. There is a knot Diamond Hitch. Do it names originate from diamond - is a "stone" or diamond - is a rhombus, geometrical figure? Or both cases used. Then what cases one used, and where is the second used?
It's the shape. The illustration clearly shows the resulting diamond shapes. There's nothing about stones in the description of this knot. In fact, it is described as being for packing, as noted above. I would say in this context, the term "diamond" always refers to the shape. It's true that people sometimes refer to diamonds as "stones" but not in this context. I don't think actual diamonds play any role at all in this book and if they do, then a very minor one. I've never heard of an anchor being referred to as a stone, but I suppose it's possible. In ancient seafaring they used stones as anchors and some people in traditional societies may still do this. However, with the kind of ships that Ashley discusses, they certainly used iron anchors only, except maybe in an emergency.