View Single Post

Old 08-04-2022, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Finston View Post
I would say securing rather than lifting, but I don't know for sure. "Stone" here is used in the same sense as "logs" in the text: Stone is secured for transport using a method similar to the one described for logs in the example, except using chain instead of rope. It's not a nautical knot, it's in the chapter "Occupational Knots" under "The Drayman":

"A drayman was historically the driver of a dray, a low, flat-bed wagon without sides, pulled generally by horses or mules that were used to transport all kinds of goods." Drayman - Wikipedia

It's the shape. The illustration clearly shows the resulting diamond shapes. There's nothing about stones in the description of this knot. In fact, it is described as being for packing, as noted above. I would say in this context, the term "diamond" always refers to the shape. It's true that people sometimes refer to diamonds as "stones" but not in this context. I don't think actual diamonds play any role at all in this book and if they do, then a very minor one. I've never heard of an anchor being referred to as a stone, but I suppose it's possible. In ancient seafaring they used stones as anchors and some people in traditional societies may still do this. However, with the kind of ships that Ashley discusses, they certainly used iron anchors only, except maybe in an emergency.
A "Stone" is also an old English unit of weight, equivelant to 14 pounds.