Thread: Color Charts
View Single Post

Old 08-05-2022, 01:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Working with fine paper

I've made some progress on the color chart with the black background. I need to buy a few more of the pastel pencils. I should have just bought the box with all 60 colors in the first place.

I have a folder full of fine paper of various kinds that I've literally had for decades. Since it's all 100% rag and hasn't been exposed to light or moisture, it's all as good as the day I bought it. I'm always glad when I have a reason to get out some fine paper and work with it.

For the color chart on a light background I'm using some charcoal paper from Hahnemühle. It's not always easy to determine which side is the front and I'm not sure it makes a difference with this paper. However, it has a watermark and by checking the Hahnemühle website, I determined that the rooster was facing left so it was the work of a moment to figure out that that was the front side. I marked all the corners on the back side "back" and when I cut or tore the sheet, I marked them on the new, smaller sheets. Actually, that's not quite true, since I forgot when cutting off the last two strips and had to figure it out from the remaining portion of the watermark.

Whenever possible, I prefer to tear rather than cut. I use the folding bone to reinforce the crease, several times while folding the paper the other way around a couple of times. Then, I tear carefully and tear the last bit from the other side. Otherwise, I use an x-acto knife. I hardly ever use scissors except for trimming, gift wrap or cloth.

I used a mask for marking the final cuts to bring the paper down to DIN A4. I'd cut it out of heavy Bristol board and the result doesn't have to be perfect; the sheet just has to fit into an A4 plastic pocket.

I always save every scrap of 100% rag paper. It may be useful for something and if not, then it would make excellent papier-mâché.
Attached Thumbnails
Color Charts-gscf0001.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0002.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0003.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0004.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0005.jpg  

Color Charts-gscf0006.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0007.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0008.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0009.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0010.jpg  

Color Charts-gscf0011.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0012.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0013.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0014.jpg   Color Charts-gscf0015.jpg